NO-GA Logotype

Our story

In 1912, the Scanian farmer Anders Andersson had a large and lavish property built in the National Romantic style on the corner of Nybrogatan and Riddargatan. It is here that the history of the NO-GA begins, what will become an obvious destination for exclusive furniture and modern design in Stockholm.

Modern Cars & Antique furniture

After the construction of the building in 1912, the Auction Hall opens in the premises at Nybrogatan 11. The original intention was to organise quality auctions for art and antique furniture, but the idea was scrapped and the company switched to selling high-quality antique furniture. After a while, the shop's large space is supplemented by the sale of cars, creating the somewhat odd combination of selling antique furniture and modern cars under one roof.

However, car sales are discontinued when Anders Andersson's nephew Carl-Otto Heigard takes over the company in 1929. Instead, Heigard complements the furniture store with an art gallery and establishes the name Nordiska Galleriet in 1933 to reflect the new direction of the company. The company AB Nordiska Galleriet is registered in the same year, which is the limited company that still runs the business today.

The Danish era & famous furniture exhbitions

In the 1940s, Carl-Magnus Heigard (Carl-Ottos Heigard's son) takes over the business and starts a renewal of the concept. In the 1950s, the "Danish era" begins at Nordiska Galleriet, starting with a famous exhibition of furniture by designers such as Nanna and Jörgen Ditzel, Jörgen Höj and Finn Juhl. In 1954, designer Jörgen Höj designs the new logo for the Nordic Gallery, which is the same logo used until 2017.

Cassina and B&B Italia introduces to Sweden

The tradition of exhibitions continues with the exhibition 'Inspiration -63' with Börge Mogensen, Hans J. Wegner, Jörgen Höj and others. The 'Viva l'Italia' exhibition in 1967, featuring Tobia Scarpa and others, where Cassina and B&B Italia were seriously introduced in Sweden, was a great success. At the end of the 1970s, an exhibition is presented in which the Eames couple launch their furniture in Sweden. In the same year, Tobia Scarpa also designed Nordiska Galleriet's self-produced Familjesoffan sofa, which can still be found at auction today.

International collaborations

In 1982, Carl-Magnus Heigard transfers the company to former store manager Anders Carnerud. The company continues with exhibitions and was visited by Giulio Cappellini and Antonio Citterio, among others, who later made big names for themselves in the world of design. In the latter part of the 1990s, the store undergoes extensive renovation, including the removal of the original floor from 1912. The chequered stone floor becomes a recognisable feature of the store with its characteristic pattern.

Today´s history takes over

After 22 years as owner, Anders Carnerud is selling Nordiska Galleriet. The buyer is Olle Heigard, nephew of Carl-Magnus Heigard and thus a relative of the company's original founder Carl-Otto Heigard. The business will continue to be run in the same spirit as before, with a focus on strong brands, well-known designers and with modern design at the centre. In 2011, a showroom for Fritz Hansen will be opened with its own entrance from Riddargatan 7.

In 2016, Axel Söderberg buys the company, starting another era of renewal and modernisation of Nordiska Galleriet. With quality, knowledge and service in focus, much of the Nordiska Galleriet's former glory days are relaunched. The concept has been streamlined and today art from well-known artists once again hangs on the walls. Nordiska Galleriet is once again visited by famous designers, including Patricia Urquiola, who presented her new furniture collection for Cassina in spring 2017. The level of ambition has been raised and the aim is to create a world-leading destination store for a design-minded audience.

We hope you will join us on our journey. Now we are writing the next chapter of the NO-GA book together.